Saturday 30 April 2011

So I decided...



I want to be a drummer! It took me long enough to decide. You see viewer, ever since I left high school I've had no idea what it was I wanted to pursue! One minute I wanted to become a psychologist or a film maker, the next I wanted to work on video game design and development and now FINALLY i've decided conclusively that I want to be a drummer (though it wasn't exactly my fault that I decided not to do game design. Fuckin' course changin' fee uppin' dickheads!)

So anyway, what made me decide that i wanted to beat the shit out of pads for a living? Well, I've always loved music and I've played many instruments in the past (recorder, clarinet, ocarina and I still play guitar here and there) but never showed any real interest in drums until one boring Sunday afternoon. I suddenly remembered that I had a small drum pad that i've never even used! I bashed that thing all week long and found it to be so enjoyable that I purchased my very first acoustic drum kit!

Ever since then I've been practicing nearly every day, trying to learn brand new techniques and listening to more music than ever. I'm virtually losing all interest in my other passion (video games) for the time being anyway because I'm so intent on taking in more music knowledge.

I have many drummers whom I aspire to emulate, hard rock guys like John "Lead foot" Bonham, Dave "God Hand" Grohl, and Neil "I'm so bloody fast my hands may well fall off" Peart.


Neil Peart - He Is Jesus

I'm also a fan of some lesser known guys like Jimmy Chamberlain of the Smashing Pumpkins and David Lovering of the Pixies.

The Velvet Underground's Mo Tucker I really like as well. Her drumming is almost tribal like and her minimalist style she fits the band PERFECTLY in my opinion.

So yeah! I'm just starting to learn the instrument and am enjoying it a great deal. I'll be posting updates every few days to keep both of you informed on my progress. :P

PS, any feedback or advice from anybody (but other drummers in particular) is really really really appreciated.

- TJ

PPS, VIENETTA!



No comments:

Post a Comment